liyi_1991:
For individuals, visual matching is far superior to any universal CMF method (universal CMF includes CIE 1931, CIE 170, Apple CMF, etc.). For industrial production, universal CMF is the only option.
Until methods and instruments for measuring individual CMF become available, I do not trust any universal CMF. They are sometimes effective, and sometimes worse than 1931.
Hi
You're absolutely right!
The individual CMFs for display colour management is becoming increasingly important, particularly given the trend towards ever-narrower-band primary colours, such as those found in laser projectors.ICC held an Expert Day on Individual Colour Matching Functions, in conjunction with the CIE Scientific Conference in Vienna on July 8 2025.
https://www.color.org/events/vienna/The goal of the meeting was to review recent work on individual colour matching functions and its application to colour management.Andrew Stockman gave a presentation at the ICC meeting in which he provided a clear overview of the current state of individual CMF:
Cone spectral sensitivities, colour matching functions and individual differences Andrew Stockman, University College Londonhttps://www.color.org/events/vienna/1.AndrewStockman_ICC_LEDMax_ICMFs.pdfStockman has developed a template to correct for individual observer metamerism:
"Formulae for generating standard and individual human cone spectral sensitivities"https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/col.22879As the standard observer defined in CIE 170 2015_2 is an adaptation to the entire population,"To produce the mean L-cone spectral sensitivity subsequently adopted by the CIE, Stockman
and Sharpe linearly combined the L(ala180) and L(ser180) spectral sensitivities in the ratio of 0.44:0.56 (based on the proportion of polymorphisms found in the population)",
it is never matching for each individual, independent on which type of observer they belong to.Since I was never entirely satisfied with the white point, even after calibrating my Eizo 319 using Probe match with the spectrometer, I used the template to create my individual CMF!
With the script https://github.com/CVRL-IoO/Individual-CMFs you can modify the standard 2015 observer.Stockman has incorporated further factors, such as the optical density of the lens—which is age-dependent—as possible parameters into his template for the individual CMF.As I'm 61 years old I have addressed this in the script to compensate the higher optical density of my lens according to CIE 16x:2005:
"Table 6.10 The optical density Docul(λ) of lens and other ocular media as a function of age"
(Stockman, Sharpe and Fach (1999).
To get an idea about my colour vision and my individual shifts L(ala180) or L(ser180) for the implementing into my individual CMF I have tested this with the instrument Anomaloskop: oculus
https://www.oculus.de/en/products/hmc-anomaloskop/?highlightsWith the native linear quanta Data from the template (without normalisation) and the provided 3x3 conversation Matrix LMS to XYZ of the paper
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/col.22879 I got my individual CMF! I used this individual CMF with my spectrometer and set the monitor's white point using the Interactive Controls of my Eizo to D65. Then I used colourspace to create a new Colour Space Target with this white point.Then I create a 3D calibration LUT as normal with ColourSpace (re-setting the white point in colourspace to D65 for the profile) , selecting the new Colour Space Target as the Source. https://lightillusion.com/perceptual_match_guide.htmlThis procedure has generated a custom spectral matching to my individual colour vision.
For the first time I have not the feeling that my display has yellow tint because my individual CMF has compensated my higher lens density and my higher sensitivity to the longer wavelength compared to the standard 2015 observer.
Best
Frank