| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

LG 32EP950 - internal 3D LUT support?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 8 Sep 2023 06:52 
I just bought the 32EP950, but wondering if I made a mistake and should've bought the one with the built-in probe. My i1D3 Probe that I used with my Eizo CG2420 broke. I need a new probe and want to see if the new Calibrite probes are supported? Or should I have bought the 32BP95E for $500 more that includes a probe? I was not sure if that probe was good enough, because it looks like a basic drop-down probe at the top of the monitor, like my Eizo has. I have a Blackmagic Mini Convertor to hold a 3D LUT for my Eizo and used Lightspace limited-time license in the past. But I need something that will work with this LG and import a good 3D LUT into it, without the need for the mini converter.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 8 Sep 2023 20:08 
No 'in-built' probes from any manufacture have proven to be better than external probes.
And as per the website Display/i1D3 page, all versions are supported.
https://www.lightillusion.com/i1d3_manual.html

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 18 Sep 2023 02:39 
Thanks! So I bought a 5-day license. Ran Unity Bypass. Now trying to profile the display, but a little confused on a few things. I have ColourSpace installed on my laptop, with a network connection to my other box running Resolve. My PC has a pci-e Mini Monitor 4k connected directly to the LG HDMI port.

I'm able to get patches up and running and everything. But confused on the pre-calibration setup. The LG has Input Range of Full or Narrow. I'm assuming "Narrow" means 16-235 (limited). I know the whole chain needs to be the same, no matter if full or limited range. I found a guide for FSI monitors that show it using "extended" patch scale. Should the LG have this option selected? I'm not sure if I should use Limited Range either. I read the guides and they made me even more confused on Data vs Limited ranges.

Also what about contrast? The default is 70 on the LG, and not sure if I should even touch contrast. I did reduce brightness down to about 100-102 nits, before starting profiling.

Author nhatdo
ZRO
Male
#4 | Posted: 18 Sep 2023 05:00 
- Resolve set to Full
- LG to Full
- Colourspace to Full

Because you used Resolve it's only 8-bit, reduce the brightness to have 100 - 105 nits and run Grey Primary Ramp to see all setting fine for large profile like 17^3.

My setting on LG : brightness 41, contrast 70, gamma 2.2, color gamut: native, color temp custom, rgb 50, hue 50, six color by default

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 18 Sep 2023 07:52 
Using 8-bits makes no difference at all to anything.
And as per the User Guides, the pre-calibration brightness level needs to be set depending on the colour temperature of white, as when the LUT corrects that back to D65 it will reduce the peak brightness.

Peak brightness is set via the Interactive Control, as per the User Guide.

And if you have clipping, something is set incorrectly somewhere...
But impossible to even guess what that is.
What range have you set within ColourSpace?

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 26 Sep 2023 00:19 
nhatdo
Color Gamut = Native? There is no native selection. Unless you mean custom slot. And there is no option in ColourSpace to upload LUT to the Custom slot. I gave up on the Calibration slot, because something is going wrong with calibration. I downgraded LG firmware to 3.08 due to issues. Now I'm trying to calibrate using BT.709 and BT.2020 slots and uploading LUT's to them to see which slot is best.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 26 Sep 2023 07:36 
Uploading Unity Bypass puts the monitor into its native gamut, for any slot.
And the Calibration Slot is the correct slot to use for user calibration, as per the User Guide - there are no known issues.

Issues with firmware beyond v3.08 are nothing to do with ColourSpace, and have been explained.
Later LG firmware versions cause changes in brightness with patch size.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 26 Sep 2023 13:22 
Steve:
Issues with firmware beyond v2.08 are nothing to do with ColourSpace, and have been explained.
Later LG firmware versions cause changes in brightness with patch size.

So is it recommended for now to stay on v2. 08 until they fix the issue on their side?

Because profiling different patch sizes and making and then going thru the process of making luts give multiple outcomes on where I need to set the brightness control of my display before profiling.

The problem is how they decide to fix this in the LG firmware. If they make a change to fix it, and then I upload the fix. More than likely I will need to reprofile the display and create a new lut.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#9 | Posted: 26 Sep 2023 13:23 
Yes - the recommendation is to use v3.08 firmware.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 26 Sep 2023 13:24 
Steve
Thanks

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 29 Sep 2023 20:07 
Steve:
Yes - the recommendation is to use v3.08 firmware.

Have you heard anything from LG? I posted in LGG forums, my concerns about still not able to calibrate this LG properly. I bought the LTE version of ColourSpace. I'm getting mixed results. Sometimes with only Grey Ramp RGB Large, I get good results. Then I wipe it with Unity Bypass, and then do a Cube Based 17-side, and upload that LUT. And it turns out terrible. Terrible Delta-E, terrible RGB seperation, etc. I'm not sure what is going wrong. I have v3.08 installed, but currently updating back to 3.20 to test.

I have everything in the chain including my Decklink mini monitor 4k set to Full SDI 4:4:4 RGB. Not sure why i get bad results with the Cube Based 17-side. Going to try now with v3.20 and also test the different patch sizes to see if it affects brightness.

If LG doesn't come out with a fix soon or I cant get this calibrated over the weekend, it's going to be return to B&H.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#12 | Posted: 29 Sep 2023 20:23 
I have replied to your LGG post.
But, using v3.08 firmware in the LG monitor works perfectly.
You do not need any other firmware version.

The LGG post response says:

"The issues will not be the monitor, as it will calibrate perfectly.

The issue will be with the workflow/signal path.

So for now, just use the internal TPG, and calibrate the monitor in isolation.
When you have that locked-down and working perfectly, then re-introduce Resolve into the signal path, and perform the exact same calibration workflow, but with Resolve as the TPG.

Any issues you then have will be isolated to having Resolve in the signal path, and you can work to define and correct them.

And as has been said before, uploading the pre-calibration profiles, the LUT, and the post-calibration verification profiles will allow others to assess what the issues are you are having.

Also, as you have purchased a full ColourSpace LTE license you can email me directly for assistance.
Just remember to send any profiles and LUTs for assessment!"

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#13 | Posted: 30 Sep 2023 01:52 
@Steve Shaw - Nevermind reviewing those files. ISSUE FOUND: The Decklink Mini Monitor 4K only outputs RGB 4:4:4 at up to 1080p60. So above that it was outputting YUV 4:2:2. I confirmed that when I connected back my Eizo CG2420, where it calibrated fine at 1080p. Then I looked at the Blackmagic specs of the decklink and it confirms it only supports RGB up to 1080p60.

SOLUTION: Replace Decklink MM 4k for something that supports RGB at 4k.

Author WarpedTrekker
ZRO
#14 | Posted: 30 Sep 2023 05:51 
Actually spoke to soon. Apparently the Decklink does support HDMI 4:4:4 RGB. Tried different HDMI cables, etc. The only accurate way I can get it to work, is directly to the LG, bypassing the Decklink mini monitor 4k. I give up for tonight. I may need to find someone else running it thru the Decklink to figure out what is going on. There are no more settings to change. Everything in the chain is correctly set to the same levels (Full).

Author Steve

INF
Male
#15 | Posted: 30 Sep 2023 06:00 
Well, you have proven beyond doubt that the issue is not the monitor.

The issue is the signal path before the monitor, so associated with the use of Resolve as the TPG.

As I keep saying, unless you provide the before/after profiles, and the LUT, there is little we can do to even suggest what the issue may be.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 LG 32EP950 - internal 3D LUT support?

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0