| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

i1Display Pro Probe calibration options

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author redisred
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 7 Mar 2014 17:02 
Hello,

I'm calibrating an Eizo CG275 with an i1Display Pro and doing some experimenting and I came across something I couldn't find very clear explanation for in the LightSpace manual. Eizo markets these monitors as being wide gamut, covering 98% of the Adobe RGB space, so I assume that the Wide Gamut CCFL setting should be used? I noticed that I get different measurements with Generic CMF, CCFL and Wide Gamut CCFL so I want to make sure I'm picking the right one!

Also, just for kicks I plugged in the Adobe RGB primaries and white point and loaded it up based on a 16 size cube monitor characterization, and I noticed some kind of noticeable banding in the shadows and in some of the most saturated colors. Am I seeing the limitations of my cheapie probe here, or just an inherent problem with trying to make a calibration LUT for a kind of silly color space like Adobe RGB?

Author mike_n
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 02:21 
Hi,

do u have the CG275W ?

- M

Author redisred
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 02:38 
mike_n
yes

Author mike_n
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 02:56 
okay, I have that screen. I calibrated it and there are 3 different approaches... I'm gonna do a write-up on this and post here, but in any case here's the quick scoop:

1) the display has LCD backlight contamination in the shadows (nothing you or a LUT can do about it) - I've been in contact with Eizo for 2 months and their R&D department has checked other units - all suffer from the same

2) the internal meter is crap

3) ColorNavigator does not allow spectro offsets, so (more or less useless) for calibrating, but you can use it to pre-set up the screen for profiling, I'll explain in detail in my other post

4) get a spectro and use that to create offsets for your colorimeter (i1D3). The i1D3 - for what it is - is a very capable meter, especially with the Avg LLH enabled

5) are you connected via DVI or DP ?

- M

Author redisred
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 03:11 
Oh wow, this is amazing thank you! Ya I've noticed the internal sensor is junk. Though it sounds like I'm stuck with some shadow problems with the 275. I have noticed that, it's very sensitive to viewing angle and the shadows never seem very dark except straight on in the middle. Is the 276 any better? I'm a little scared where this will lead haha. Can't wait to see the rest, thank you!

Author mike_n
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 03:16 
I've not tested the 276, but they changed the way the internal LUT is being stored, which is an improvement...

The CG275W is absolutely usable, after LS LUT calibration, but the shadows will be whatever they are - it's an LCD issue that they did not get under control. Other, more expensive panels are better in the shadows. But everything else is absolutely on target in the Eizo...

are u connected via DVI or displayPort ?

- M

Author redisred
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 03:19 
Display port into MacBook Pro running parallels, is dvi better?

Author mike_n
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 8 Mar 2014 03:26 
no, DP will give you 10-bit output on the Eizo. DVI is just 8-bit.

Author redisred
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 10 Mar 2014 21:16 
OK, so I'm just curious, beyond the Eizo monitors, what's a better reference monitor? I got into all of this stuff kind of backwards, so I'm kind of learning everything out of order! The flanders LCD's and OLED's seem great, I see a lot of complaints about the Panasonic, and it seems like the Sony PVM is another favorite. Not sure about OLED though. I realize I'm asking a stupidly open-ended question akin to "what's the best country" or something haha, I'm sure it all depends on a hundred variables, but anything to speed up research would be super helpful! Not even sure I want to go farther than what I have. Also, for spectro's, would the either of the i1's accomplish what you're talking about? Or conversely, would hunting for deal on something like a hubble or k-10 or something be even better?

Such a rabbit hole this stuff is! Love it.

Author mike_n
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 11 Mar 2014 00:07 
the question regarding the "better" ref monitor is a tough one... companies like FSI, TVLogic and Penta produce great screens but are also more expensive and - since they have a few different models - u would need to make sure that the model that u buy actually performs better than ur Eizo or better enough worth the extra cost.... Not all models from a good manufacturer are the same...

K-10 is a colorimeter, not a spectro. I use the K10-A and it is fantastic, but as u know, the meter cannot overcome limits of the hardware...

The i1D3 is a very good meter for what it is, u might wanan look for a spectro like the i1Pro to create offsets, or if ur budget allows get the K10 and a Jeti 1211 but that would be an extra 15K and for that u could buy a much better screen...

and check out http://DisplayCalibrationTools.com (a project I'm affiliated with), some very nice Lightspace enhancement tools there, like full dE reports on all of your LS profiles, custom patch sequence generation, custom color spaces and more...

do u have the full CMS version of Lightspace ?

- Mike

Author redisred
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 11 Mar 2014 04:54 
mike_n
Awesome thank you again! I have lightspace cms full. And ya sorry I noticed there's two versions of the i1pro, old and newer and that's what I meant by i1's. And ya k10 is just a colorimeter, but I'd imagine way better than the little i1D3. But really this is my ignorance showing, I've yet to touch anything with offsets, doing this all backwards like I said! I may look into an i1pro to make offsets, that sounds like a good starting point for me. And I just looked at your site, I believe I'd seen mention of it here before but never really looked. Looks like some great stuff, I'll have to do some deeper reading there soon. Thanks for all your help, looking forward to the full eizo post!

Author mike_n
ZRO
#12 | Posted: 11 Mar 2014 05:02 
the K10 is fantastic, I could never do a cal without it again...

but the i1D3 is very good (for what it is)... look for an i1Pro 1 - used or new on eBay - look for rev D units...

I'll try to post the Eizo stuff later today...

- M

Author redisred
ZRO
#13 | Posted: 25 Mar 2014 16:50 
Is the eizo post on your site somewhere? I haven't been able to find it anywhere?

Author mike_n
ZRO
#14 | Posted: 25 Mar 2014 19:48 
it's coming, I'm currently testing some other things with the Eizo that will be included in the post !

Author redisred
ZRO
#15 | Posted: 25 Mar 2014 19:51 
Oh great! No hurry just figured I must have missed something

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 i1Display Pro Probe calibration options

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0